Every au pair has his or her ‘thing’ — a hobby, a life experience, a skill or two, a great sense of humor — that sets them apart as an individual.
In most matches, this stuff is the icing on a cake.
For some families though, these skill could help make that au pair a fabulous addition to the family.
For example, I’d love to find an au pair who had some experience with horses, so that s/he could drive my kids to lessons and keep an eye on them around the barn and make sure they were handling the horses safely.
I’d have loved an au pair who knew how to play the violin, back when DD1 was screeching her way through the Suzuki curriculum.
If you are an au pair candidate and you have something out of the ordinary about you, PLEASE highlight that in your application.
Your ability to speak three languages, the fact that you practice meditation, your agility with a glue gun and felt might be JUST THE THING for you to bring to a host family that might help them grow or might offer some extra support to their dreams.
Even though au pairs get a lot of coaching about how to present themselves, I wish every au pair candidate would get this message loud and clear:
Share What’s Special About You.
Otherwise, we get emails like this one, from an au pair who wanted to know more about whether there were some ‘unusual’ questions that an au pair could ask that might make her ‘stand out’ in a positive way. She seems to overlook the laundry list of great qualities that make her an outstanding candidate in general, and perhaps a perfect one for a family who needs something extra.
Hi Au Pair Mom!
- I absolutely love children, and would like to use this as a “test year” to decide which age group I would like to train to teach (primary or secondary). As such I have Pinterest boards full of ideas for things to do with children- both educational and just plain good fun.
- I have been an au pair before in Luxembourg with an American family however sadly we lost contact when they moved back to the USA.I’m 22 and will be 23 when I come over.
- I will have a degree in French and German as a foreign language, and speak both languages fluently as well as some basic Spanish, and very basic Italian and Russian (I’m currently in my last year at university).
- I’m from the UK, a native English speaker and I’m also qualified to teach English as a foreign language.
- I play piano to above the UK grade 5 level, basic guitar, violin and recorder and am very familiar with music theory.
- I have been living on my own since I was 18 years old, and spent 2.5 years living and working abroad, as such I’m good at taking care of myself and making decisions, and can can do all the basic household skills from dusting to balancing a checkbook!
- I also love to cook and can cook French and German dishes as well as British dishes.