While we all want to avoid getting the “Party Girl” Au Pair or the “Frat Boy” Bro-Pair, we want our au pairs to establish their own happy social lives.
There are, however, some tried and true ways to meet other “young people”.
You might suggest to your au pair that s/he try these when they first arrive.
- Take a class. Not just an academic class, but a one-evening class in Adult School, or similar.
- Join a church or faith community.
- Find a town sports league and join a team.
- Join an ESL class just for the opportunity to chat with other people new to the area.
- And here’s my best idea =>
Use “Meetup” to find interesting groups in your area that meet regularly and are open to new members. (Look at this one I found specifically for folks New and Not So New in Limerick, Ireland!)
If you don’t have a group near you, help your au pair create one using Meetup or an analogue strategy like a handbill posted at the local cafe.
We host parents can also help out with activities like:
- Introduce your Au Pair to the Au Pairs or nannies of family friends. Take your Au Pair to school pick-up and introduce him/her to other adults there.
- Ask your LCC to suggest a specific other au pair or two whom you can invite to your house for coffee, to meet your au pair.
- Throw a welcoming party, inviting that fun barista that chat with on Saturday mornings.
- Find a promotion on gym memberships and sign your au pair up for a Zumba class.
- Email an au pair parent host blog and ask for suggestions. (See below, and thanks Keith!)
Okay, so these suggestions aren’t earth-shattering… but they are a place to start.
What else would you recommend for helping your au pair make a social life?
Dear Au Pair Mom —
We have had our Au Pair for 2 weeks now and I have to say she is great!
We are looking for ideas to help her with socialising. Does anyone know of a blog or Au-pair network that can help them meet other people around their own age?
Our au pair is 21. She’s very friendly and wants to meet others but doesnt know where to start. Unfortunately, her agency isn’t that knowledgeable about our area and doesn’t seem to have any other girls near us that she can meet up with.
(We are in Limerick, Ireland.)
Any ideas from parents or au pairs would be great. Thanks so much.
Many Thanks for your time.
Image: Handmade Butterfly Tea Party Dress, available from SweetJunebilee on Etsy