Choosing an Au Pair: Using email to reach out to a candidate

by cv harquail on May 14, 2009

Once you’ve found a candidate that interests you and you have her contact information, you need to establish contact reach out to her.  I’ve found that an email is a great way to start the conversation. (If she does not haves an email address, go to the phone pronto.)

An email can "warm up" a candidate by giving her the basic information about your family. Because it is written information rather than spoken information, she can take her time translating it, pronouncing your names, looking up your state on the map, and so on.

Your email has three goals:

1. To make sure that the au pair is cool with the basics of your situation: location, # kids, usual work week, etc.
  2. To give her enough information that she can have something to know you by when you call.
  3. To make sure that she is actually still looking for a position, and/or whether she has other families in play.

email heart candy.jpg

In addition , I always attach a photo of my family, and our host family essay. Depending on the au pair’s level of interest in your basic situation, she can use your family essay to get a better sense of you all.

You email can also start to ‘sell’ your family to the candidate, because it is likely that your text, your photo, and your family essay will display something out your family’s personality and host family approach.

Armed with the basic information, the candidate is able either to reject you on very basic grounds (e.g., because you’re in New Jersey and she wants California) or get excited about your phone call. Plus, she now has your email– and an enthusiastic candidate will take advantage of that and reply to you.

But what do you put in the email? Here’s one example…

Hi (AuPair Candidate) —

My name is Terrific Hostmom. I am a host mom in NiceTown, New Jersey – which is just outside of New York City. My family and I are looking for a new au pair.

We recently received your application information from < our agency >. We might have a family situation that matches your interests. Because we have had several au pairs over the years, we have a pretty good sense of the kind of an au pair we are looking for, and you seem like the kind of young woman who might do well with our family. We know that girls with your qualifications can match very fast and so we hope this email reaches you soon enough that you can consider us.

Here’s a quick introduction to our family: My Husband HD and I have two children, Child One (age x) and Child Two (age y). We also have a very friendly dog, Coco. We live 20 kilometres outside of New York City, in a suburban town called NiceTown. There are a LOT of au pairs here– many from < your country >– so it’s easy to make friends.

We are looking for an au pair who is kind and loving, is mature and responsible, is a safe driver, knows how to swim, and is not afraid of dogs. Our au pairs generally work Mon-Fri before and after school, and 2 Saturday nights per month– an average work week is 36 hours.

I am attaching our family essay and a photo of all of us. Would you be willing to look over our family essay and see if the position we have looks interesting to you? If it does, we could plan to talk on the telephone soon.

Please let me know that you have received this email— and whether you are still looking for a family.

We hope you’re interested in talking with us and exploring the opportunity to au pair with our family.

All the best,
Terrific Hostmom

Have you used an introductory email, before a phone call to a candidate? Anything you’d advise? Do tell….

TMK May 14, 2009 at 2:21 pm

Hi,
I always send a long introductory email first, similar to the one above, but longer. I include photographs of the family, information about the children, my husband and I, the pets and a rough idea of their work schedule as well as details of the area we live in. The AP’s that respond always tell me that they love getting a lot of information as most people do not include much in their first contact. Interestingly a high number of them have said they responded to me because they showed their own mother my email letter and she told them I would be a good mother to work for based on the amount of detail in my letter. I thought that was a nice compliment. I ask them to email me back if they are interested in exploring the possibility of being our AP. The AP’s that respond know they have a good chance of being able to fit in because they have a lot of information up front, and the ones that don’t respond know they would not be a fit and have saved me the time of pursuing a relationship that would not work. The email first approach has helped to narrow the field to the right candidates and saved me a lot of wasted time and energy on fruitless phone calls.

Anna May 14, 2009 at 2:31 pm

My family essay is annoyingly detailed. It basically “gives out” everything there is to know about us and more!
I like to email the essay and most photos to the candidate after the first basic phone conversation, when we have confirmed a mutual interest in talking further. That way she can read it and come up with questions for the second conversation.

I do email the candidate before the first phone call, to arrange the best time to call and give her the warning that the phone call is coming.
Here is my (edited to cut out identifying info) first email to our au pair we ended up matching with this year:

———————–
Hi (AuPair Candidate),

we are a host family looking for an au pair, and I saw your application , and I really liked it.
We will not be able to call you on the phone until Saturday evening (X pm our time, Y pm your time), but we can start talking by email.

My name is Mom, and my husband is Dad. We live in a suburb of BigCity, a city of LeafySuburb, State. We have two children, Daughter is X years old and , and Son is Y years old.

We are in the second year of hosting au pairs. Our first au pair was also from YourCountry from YourCity, and we loved each other, we keep in touch with her, she now lives in works in YourCity. Right now we have an au pair from OtherCountry.

I think our family has a lot in common with you and your family. My husband Dad was born in … We are of X religion . I think you, being a vegetarian, will feel at home here. We do eat meat, but we are very understanding of dietary requirements, and we would love to diversify the diet of us and our children with more vegetarian dishes. Also, my husband’s family . I myself was born in , and my family

I am attaching a picture of my children taken . I don’t have more recent pictures on this computer. Daughter looks more like her father, and Son looks more like me.

Talk to you later,
Anna

P.S. I am copying this email to my husband, so when you answer, please make sure you “reply to all”

Anna May 14, 2009 at 2:36 pm

Ouch, a lot of text out of my previous post doesn’t show because I used the wrong kind of brackets in describing details…. CV, please help and edit it!

Anna May 14, 2009 at 2:47 pm

TMK,

I see the reasoning behind your approach. But it looks like in your agency you are really competing with other families and/or your family might have something not so desirable about it (from the au pair’s point of view, please don’t take offense).

I personally am very selective in whom to call. In the agencies I’ve been with, the applications of the girls are very very detailed, and if you can really get a good sense of the candidate just from reading the application. I only call if, based on the application, I really want that girl! I.e. if everything goes well in the phone calls and they confirm my initial impression, we’ll ask for a match. I only call if I have a feeling of “WOW!!” and “I am lucky she is still available!” from the application. If I just think “she fits all my criteria and it could work for us”, I don’t contact the candidate. It is like marriage, there is some magic involved in a great match. I really listen to my gut and only call if it tells me “thats IT!”.

And if it is really “IT”, the girl will love us too, so I don’t worry about “selling” in that first letter as much as conveying my excitement and explaining why we want to talk to her.

Anonymous May 14, 2009 at 3:15 pm

Anna –

Just curious which agency are you working with?

Anna May 14, 2009 at 3:47 pm

Anonymous, in one agency I didn’t compete with other families, in another I do, but no more than 1 other family at a time. I’d rather not answer here publically, but if you find a way to email me – or give me an anonymous email address for you – I will tell you.

Rayann May 14, 2009 at 4:55 pm

We sent out A LOT of introductory emails in a very lengthy search for our first AP. For us, it just helped make our lives easier by screening out the girls who had zero interest in our family. To do the phone interviews (I think we ended up doing 14 of those), host dad and I would meet at my office so we could use my conference phone for interviews. In order to coordinate our schedules and guarantee (usually) the AP was actually going to be able to take the call, we used email. Similar to what is posted above – we introduced our family, where we live, the hours, etc….

By doing so, we screened out a lot of potential APs for various reasons – some didn’t want to care for three children, some didn’t want to care for a toddler, some didn’t want to work evenings and weekends, some didn’t want to live in our State (too cold), and one said she wouldn’t go to a family if she didn’t have her own car. So, even if an AP seemed like a great match for us, by using emails we were able to quickly narrow down the field by finding APs who also felt like they were a great match for us – and by narrowing, we were able to find 14 APs that met our criteria and we met theirs.

Then, via email, I would set up a specific date and time to call – “We would like to arrange a phone interview on Friday at x time, your time zone. Are you available?” It made life a lot easier.

Our agency doesn’t suggest emailing first – they want you to get on the phone immediately. But that seemed like a huge waste of time to me, and since they didn’t say I *couldn’t* email them first, I did.

CV May 14, 2009 at 6:34 pm

Anna, I’m sorry… I can’t tell from the ‘backend’ of your comment whether there is any text that isn’t showing up… it all looks normal BUT you can send it in an email and I’ll confirm & adjust…. cv

Hula Gal May 14, 2009 at 8:41 pm

I wonder why no one wants to identify with the agency they are with? Should we not? Because I’d like to know what others experiences are with their agency. We have been happy with ours and the way we selected it was that it was the first one that came up on google search. ;-) I like their online searching called the Family Room. I’m sure you can figure out who I am with now! ;-)
To the topic…we definitely emailed and we kept it brief. We just wanted to weed out anyone who was clearly not interested in considering us for whatever reason (location, number of kids, work hours etc). We were very selective in our search criteria and in editing out the profiles of the au pairs that for whatever reason we did not want to pursue. We did not interview very many au pairs. There is one that I wonder if we missed out on by matching too soon. But things are good with our au pair, although we had a rough patch recently, I feel less buyers remorse if you will, than I did a week ago.

CV May 15, 2009 at 6:28 am

Hi Hula Gal- Mostly, we haven’t talked much about agencies (I think) because agencies don’t differ all that much– esp. when it comes to the actual relationship with the au pair (which is our emphasis here). There are a few differences at the margin, but in general they all follow the gov’t regulations. Also, Edina Stone’s clearinghouse site (see sidebar) kindof covers the agency vs. agency comparison. The agency matters most (1) when choosing an au pair, so that you use ‘their’ systems as effectively as possible, and (2) when you have a bad situation and need to rematch. In the second case, what seems to matter more than the agency is the supportiveness and skill of the LCC.
That said, if you all want to talk agencies– do what would help you and others most :-) cv

Momofboys May 14, 2009 at 9:20 pm

I was looking for an ext AP last time around so I would call the LCC first to find out some information about the AP before I contacted her. Then if things I needed checked out, I would then send an introductory email. I found out from one LCC that an AP had a boyfriend and wanted to be in a certain area. Another told me she did not think an AP I chose had the English skills I was looking for so they were helpful screeners too.

TMK May 15, 2009 at 1:30 am

… As a former business owner I have reviewed hundreds of applications, and I have learned that candidates do not always present themselves correctly, sometimes due to language differences. Also the number one complaint I have heard from au pairs during the interview process is that they have trouble getting detailed information from host families that are interested in them. So it is also in their best interest to have all the information written out and they have the time to review it in the privacy of their home before someone calls and interviews them in their “second” language
I agree completely with Rayann, and in fact our methods are almost identical. I do not sell myself because I am not trying to impress the au pairs, however I see no reason to hold back any details as I believe in being up front, transparent and honest from the first contact. I sent out 20 letters last year and had 17 affirmative responses, so I would say we are a desirable household. This put me firmly in the drivers seat and gave me the opportunity to speak to several highly qualified AP’s and then pick from the best. I conducted several phone interviews with each of the top candidates before we selected our current AP.

I prefer that method rather than the one at a time method. I don’t believe there is only one perfect AP for us, in fact the requirements will change as the children age and change. After narrowing it down to the top three, I had my children conduct the final interview and I went with their choice and I was comfortable giving them that power because I had done so much legwork and screening beforehand that I was comfortable with all three AP’s. Really it’s all personal preference in how one decides to select their AP.

Anna May 15, 2009 at 2:20 am

… This is what works for me. Maybe my ability to read between the lines and put all the disparate pieces of information and references together to create one whole image [works for me]. better than yours. I am also savvy about seeing beyond the language differences since I grew up in a different country and speak several languages. My husband is also an immigrant but from a different part of the world, who speaks three languages fluently and at least three more less so, and between us we are pretty familiar with most of the cultures that the au pairs we are considering come from.
I agree that there is no one perfect candidate for you, but there is one that is best at the time.

I do give the information, and very detailed. Part in the first email (that got very cut off in my post because I used triangular brackets), and the rest in the second email, sent right after the first brief phone conversation. There is nothing I hold back. The essay I send in the second email is 5 pages long single spaced, and it is all facts about us, not poetry. However I just don’t see myself considering 20 au pairs at a time. I am very picky and I this year I read through no less than 50 applications, all well qualified for my family and fitting my requirements on paper, to find the one I REALLY wanted to contact.

TMK May 15, 2009 at 2:56 am

Anna,
“Really it’s all a personal preference in how one decides to select their AP”.

I am completely correct and appropiate to disagree with your assessment of me and my desirability as a host family. You have never met me, you do not know our nationality, you do not know how many languages I speak, you do not know how many AP’s I have had, you do not know what country I am from, so I am at a loss as to why my style for selecting AP’s bothers you. All too often right before someone is offensive, they say “please don’t take offense”, as if that erases their offensiveness. How in the world am I supposed to know that the three different posts are all from the same Anna ??? In fact the last one was so out of the context to the other two, I was certain it was a different person. The first of your posts says ” my family essay is annoyingly detailed” How you got from there to telling me there may be something undesireable about my family because I write a long introductory email is inexplicable.
This blog is about writing about DIFFERENT ideas and approaches to being a host mom, not about competing to see who has the best approach. Since my first post was the first on this topic and not in response to anyone’s else’s I can’t imagine what was going on for you when you decided to “not to be offensive”. In my second post I simply corrected your erroneous impression and gave further details.
HOORAY for you! You found a great au pair, you feel wonderful about your process….. what in the world does that have to do with me???????

aussie_aupair May 15, 2009 at 3:58 am

Hi,
All I can say is an au pair is PLEASE!!!! send an email before you call!

Even if you just include basic information. I was fairly open to location, number of children and ages so there was never a family I didn’t agree to interview with, however it makes it very hard to just get a call out of the blue without info. I liked to look over the information in the emails and formulate some questions around this. It was very frustrating to try and absorb everything in a phone call, and is very difficult to ask everything you would like to know before you’ve had time to think over the information!

It was so much nicer to interview with families when you’ve had the time to research the area and formulate specific questions, and I think the family appreciate this as well! I also agree that an email saves the time and cost of an international phone call if an au pair is not interested because of simple impersonal things like your location or number of children etc. So really it’s a win win for everyone; especially if you save the time by having a generic letter!

Dawn May 15, 2009 at 6:07 am

(I haven’t had a chance to participate much recently because APM is now blocked by my filters at work! Boo! Not sure if the filters have been updated, or perhaps you changed something on your end, cvh?)

Anyway, we always email our APs before calling. Our agency (it’s Cultural Care, I don’t mind naming it, but cv, delete if you’d rather avoid these specifics) has a matching process where you only see one AP’s application at a time, and you are the only family who has “access” to that AP until/unless you reject the app and she goes back in the “pool,” so we don’t have the aspect of competing with other families. (The no competition aspect is one “pro” about their matching process, but as I’ve said before, I don’t like having to accept or reject an application without knowing what my other options are.)

Due to the fact that our matching process doesn’t allow for any side-by-side comparison, my approach is more similar to Anna’s. We try to do most of our “screening” by the applications themselves, and only call those APs who seem “perfect” on paper, rather than wasting time on the maybes. (Otherwise, since we only have one app at a time, our “perfect” AP may be snatched up by another family while we’re spending time emailing and calling someone who seemed like a “possibility” but didn’t really jump out at us.) So when I email in advance of a call, it’s more of a preparation tool for the call as opposed to a screening measure itself.

In addition to giving basic info about our family, our location, and what we are looking for in an AP, I also (like Rayann) set up a specific time and date for the call. I find that the call goes much more smoothly if the AP is expecting it rather than being caught off-guard by a phone call at a random time (when maybe they were heading out the door or have guests or whatever). Often, I end up emailing back and forth with the AP once or twice before the call, so we can get some of the preliminary questions out of the way and then the call is more focused on getting to know each other and seeing if we “click.”

I also just wanted to remind everyone that it’s hard to express or interpret “tone” in written communication on the internet — let’s try to be gentle with each other! I think the exchange above was probably just a misunderstanding — let’s not turn it into an argument. We’re all here to help and support each other, right?

Anna May 15, 2009 at 10:19 am

The reason I don’t want to name the agencies is because I don’t want to be identified here. I’ve given out enough detail, and for somebody who knows me (LCC or an au pair) who reads it all, the name of the agency would cinch the ID.

Jeana May 17, 2009 at 8:31 am

I always send e-mail before making contact with a potential aupair. I only e-mail aupairs that I am very interested in.

My agency, AuPair in America, allows us to see several potential aupairs at the same time. As I’ve had more experience, I know the red flags I’m looking for to eliminate an aupair, and the specifics I’m looking for that stand out in a positive way. The more experience I’ve had, the easier it is to hit the “delete” button, and only contact the girls that really stand out as a great potential match.

I send our letter of introduction, and our family book. There is information about our community, local college, work responsibilities, sample schedules, household expectations, and everything that I feel might be perceived as a “negative” by a potential aupair. I actually have a bulleted summary of items that I want to make sure any potential aupair will understand, based on past experience with other aupairs. I am not trying to sell our family to any aupair, but am honestly presenting the facts, both positive, and negative, so that our potential aupair will make an informed decision.

(Our negative is that our aupairs do not drive and do not have access to our family car. I drive our aupairs to school and help them with transportation, but they do not drive with our family. They need to know that, as most of their friends will have access to a car.)

The families of our aupairs have sensed that we have a strong commitment to supporting our aupairs and we truly want them to be part of our family. Our aupairs have communicated that the depth of information helped them to understand our family, our priorities, and needs for childcare. I am an open book of information, with the belief that if there is anything that an aupair would not be comfortable with, I want her to discover that while she’s sleeping in her own bed, across the pond, not in my home, down the hall. I’ve actually been very surprised at the limited information that some families provide, before contacting a potential aupair.

Also, I’m an ESL teacher, and I know that reading the information is sometimes easier than dealing with a phone call, when the aupair might be nervous.

Once we match, I continue to stay in contact with our aupairs. Again, it is allowing us to get to know each other better. I also hope it is reassuring the parents of our aupair, that we’ll take good care of their daughter. I always put myself in their shoes, and want them to know that I’ve got their girl’s back, while she’s with our family.

Megan May 25, 2009 at 5:45 pm

I was actually quite surprised to find out that we have to submit an essay to our agency, but then the au pairs never see it. In my head, it made sense that once I selected them for interview, that they would then be sent my essay, since I actually worked on and tried to provide good information about us in. Anyway, once I found this out, I always put a personalized paragraph first (I always email first) and let them know that the remainder of this email is the essay that we gave to the agency, to give them a better idea of who we are. If they are further interested in us (3 kids, location, often deployed husband, etc), then I send pictures and more information, as well as questions about them. I think someone said it previously, but you get so much information from their profile, that I think it’s only fair to give them a good picture of who we are, since they pretty much already put themselves out there. Also, in the first email, I mention that we have had X number of au pairs before and that any of them would welcome her contacting them (I clear this with them). I want her to know us from an au pairs perspective as well. All 3 of my au pairs keep in touch, and our first and second are really, really good friends now, even though they were only here at the same time for a very short period.
We have had very good luck in finding amazing au pairs, and I agree with a previous person that mentioned knowing “red flags” to find. Of our 4 au pair matches, we have only interviewed one person we did not match with, and there was a date of arrival issue with that individual.
My bottom line is that I want them to want us as much as we want them.

Aussie_aupair May 26, 2009 at 2:51 am

Hi Again,
I’d just like to add, as I didn’t mention it before – that without the email we have no info on a prospective family!

Basically, when put ‘on hold’ or ‘prematched’ we’re only told number of children (not even their ages or genders!), What Town and State, and the last name of the family!

So nothing to go by if we’re called out of the blue!

Lara June 17, 2009 at 6:57 pm

I have to mirror Megan’s comments. I always thought the AP’s could see the letter I sent, but I did find out that through my agency I could automatically have the pics and stuff sent to the AP. I use a version of the “dear au pair” letter that I create for my agency, and that I use to send to a prospective AP for the first time. I usually build up an email rappor prior to calling, and I plan on more than one phone call (often, no matter how great their English is, they are too nervous to talk… one of my AP’s with great English was so nervous I thought she stuttered…) My agency is a 1:1 matching process which I love (I adopted and I didn’t like competing for an au pair any more than I liked competing with another family for a child) – but they will often let you review multiple candidates at one time. (I use Cultural Care Au Pair) … In the process, I would much rather spend time getting to know a specific au pair – and then make sure she is comfortable letting me know if she wants to come to our family (I would hate to think that she felt she didn’t have a choice in the matter) – and if we both agree to move into the final stages, that is how I handle it. I’ve had 3 AP’s now and my 4th arrives in July…

Krista June 18, 2009 at 3:24 pm

We have also always sent an email before the call. Mostly just to get a sense of whether the au pair would be a good match for us. We have three young kids and are not a family for the faint of heart :) So I usually send an email with a brief intro, where we live, and that we have three great wild kids. If we get an email back saying “I was really hoping for two kids or less, but I will still interview with you” then we know not to move forward. Our current au pair emailed back saying “three is the magic number!” We LOVE her.

tracy cota June 28, 2009 at 12:03 pm

I am a host mom and have had two au pairs, one from Romania, the other from Mexico. I am also a local childcare coordinator for Cultural Care Au Pair. I have also used an introductory email when it’s time to look for a new au pair, in addition to that, though, I use our family blog. I have been keeping a family diary to my kids, for the last 3+ years. I send the link to this to every au pair I interview. I feel like it really helps them get to know us and how my kids act, the things they say, the things they do, what we do as a family, what we look like, etc. Both the au pairs who we’ve had, have come here having a good sense of who we are, and who the kids are too. And then, or course, once they come here, they become a part of the family blog, and their friends family overseas become readers to keep up on what’s going on with them. So many people are doing this these days, so I recommend that if you are, you include your blog in what you send your possible future au pair. Cultural Care has au pair videos right now, which is another way to see a future au pair. And as easy as it is to upload video to the web, it is another great tool for introducing your family to your future au pair.

Amanda Santana Balbi December 9, 2009 at 10:14 am

I’m preparing to be an au pair (cultural care) and I really think a great idea to host family send an e-mail before call to the au pair. Many au pair get nervous when hos families call to them. Send an e-mail is better than call first.

Anonymous February 7, 2010 at 9:09 pm

Hello I am a girl who wants to be an au pair and I already hand out my application and I’m hoping they call me the Host Families. Last week I received an email from a host mom, in which she presented and talked about their children. In that email, she asking me if was interested in its family. I replied to her immediately that he was interasada in your family. The host mom called me a week later, the interview lasted about 10 or 15 minutes and I really liked a the host mm. That same day she asked me more questions via mail and I also asked to her some questions.
The next day the host mom asked me more questions about how to handle a difficult situation, he would do if he had a flat tire, etc.. which I answered. This time I didn’t asked her no more questions waiting for him to give me your opinion on what he had replied in your last email. two days after she sent me an email telling me that it had not heard from me, and he had already been placed with an au pair. That really hurt because I loved to the idea of being her future Au pair. I think that it corresponded to host mom asked if I wanted to be her next au pair and not to myself proclaim as her new Au Pair.

Please give me your opinion, what did I do wrong?

NoVA Host Mom February 7, 2010 at 10:39 pm

Hey, I answered you on the other post where you put the same information. Good luck.

Sara Duke February 7, 2010 at 11:26 pm

We have found that an introductory email is useful for screening au pairs – we admit right up front that we have a 24 kg. (54 lb) disabled child who requires total care. Only the au pairs who answer in the affirmative make it to our next stage – the telephone interview.

Our telephone interview is 45 minutes long, because we really need to assess the au pair’s linguistic ability, and one of the hardest things to do is to talk on the phone (when you have absolutely no body clues to help you interpret what you hear). We ask questions from, “Give us an example of a time when you were stressed out and how you handled it.” (Nice an abstract, requires listening, interpreting, and analyzation skills.) to “Do you like cats?” (Yes and No, nice and easy, but rules out those with allergies.)

If we cannot understand an au pair on the telephone, and they cannot understand us (and between us, my husband I have bits and pieces of 4 languages other than English, so we can come up with plenty of cognates), then the application process is over. (We need an AP who can give out information to an EMT crew if needed.)

Anyone who is successful in our telephone interviews gets more rounds of emails. We generally like to have a few candidates from which to choose (and we didn’t have a chance to use e-mail with our first match 9 years ago). We definitely find it a useful tool.

Our agency releases au pair applications to three families at a time, so in my introductory email I always encourage au pairs to tell me no if they are no interested so I may release their applications to a larger pool of families. (We have also had to contact headquarters to reinstate a candidate in our pool – our process takes a month or longer – we don’t want to have to go into rematch.) We remain delighted that we always end up with a good pool from which to choose.

We always feel badly for the women we didn’t choose from our final pool, and try to make it clear to them that they are excellent candidates for another family and that they will be good au pairs. We don’t want anyone to feel like a loser.

CV February 8, 2010 at 10:22 am

In general, it is a polite and kind practice to contact folks who have not been chosen (either host families or au pair candidates) if only to tell them that a decision has been made, so that they don’t keep thinking that the option is open.

I have been quite surprised as I, my spouse and my friends have looked for new jobs, to discover how many employers fail to get back in touch with candidates even after interviewing them face to face! One of my friends was even told in the interview that she had the job… and then never heard back from the company. Unbelievable.

Both au pair candidates and host families should close the communication loop with all ‘open’ possibilities once they make a decision.