Here’s an issue we haven’t seen before. This soon-to-be au pair has matched with a family who needs her right away. But– the au pair doesn’t have enough money saved to pay for her flight to the USA.
- How should she discuss this with the host family?
- What kinds of options might she suggest? And,
- How can she manage the impression in might make on her host family that she doesn’t have much money saved?
Here are the details —
Hi! First of all I stumbled upon your website and I am so glad because I started my au pair search a few weeks ago and have already found a great potential host family whom I have been skyping with the mother and the children and their previous au pair. I am really excited to hopefully go live with them soon in the upcoming months however here is my dilema:
I am currently doing my 3rd year of undergraduate Studies and am taking sometime off to become an au pair to learn a new culture while still doing something that I enjoy, working with children and hopefully being able to share my knowledge of the english language to the children. And as with being a college student comes the hand in hand of being broke. I support myself (no family contributions/help from parents) by working two jobs part time as a nanny( because I love working with children) and part-time as a barista at a local coffee shop to make ends meet.
I have recently been searching for a family and I have found a great family whose au pair has already left them and the au pair they had lined up bailed on them at the very last minute so they have been in need of an au pair. So they would like me to come as soon as I can however due to some unexpected finances it is going to take longer for me to work and save the money for my plane ticket. And I know the au pair is responsible for paying for their flight and the host family said they will reimburse me when I arrive. I completely understand for security reasons because no HF wants to pay for a flight for an au pair but not have the au pair not show up.
However I’m a little embarrassed too tell them that I can’t afford the flight at the moment because I do not want to think I am lazy or irresponsible because I don’t have the money for a simple flight. Because I like to believe I am hard worker, I’ve been taking on more hours babysitting and working at the coffee shop and still going to school, I’m very tired, but I really want this opportunity of the great cultural exchange being an au pair offers.
So basically I don’t know if I should just completely tell them that I can’t go because I don’t have the money or tell them that I wont be able to come until a later date when I have the money for the plane ticket?
Any advice on this would be helpful :) Thank you!
We await your wisdom, below….