We host parents can be a weird bunch. The kinds of things that drive us crazy… no wonder it can be hard for au pairs to get adjusted!
Over the weekend I heard a crazy lament that I want to share with you.
My friend has a new au pair, who’s been with them about 6 weeks now. They like her very much and feel confident that she’ll have a great year with them. All is going smoothly except for one thing:
“She’s using my coffee mug,” the host mom says.
Um, hello? You have about 27 coffee mugs in that cabinet there. What’s the problem?
“It’s my coffee mug. My favorite coffee mug. The one my roommate gave me when I turned 25. The pretty blue one with the pink inside. The one that she has decided is her favorite.
She’s using it all the time and I never get to!”
What to do? Options include:
- Remove the coffee mug from circulation until this au pair leaves.
- Place a large label on the mug that says “Mom’s mug”.
- Hide the coffee mug somewhere weird, pulling it out to use it yourself and then putting it back immediately— no trips to the dishwasher.
- Buy your au pair a special mug all of her own.
- Have a brief, honest talk and tell her that the mug is your personal fave and only for you.
- Just get over it already. For god’s sake it’s just a mug.